The resolution adopted at the Council of Ministers on 14 March 2014 declares the area referred to on this web site as the test bed a marine reserve and PLOCAN is authorised to manage it. The objective of this reserve is to establish the PLOCAN test bed and its initial components, as a platform, along with the electricity grid and the connection infrastructure and the auxiliary and accessory components necessary to bring it on line. The object of the reserve is to have an area devoted exclusively to research into, experimentation with and testing of new marine technologies.
PLOCAN has been commissioned to manage the reserve by virtue of the conditions included in the report made by the Directorate General of the Sustainability of the Coast and the Sea, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment, of 30 January 2014, and in particular:
- Strict fulfilment of the environmental protection measures, the Environmental Surveillance Plan, the declarations made by PLOCAN in its documentation and all the environmental recommendations and demands, including those previously reported.
- Adopt measures in the event of oil, hydrocarbon spills and aquiculture research.
- Adopt an allochthonous species escape prevention plan in aquiculture.
- Take sound-proofing and acoustic insulation measures to avoid impact on underwater life and study the presence of cetaceans and turtles and possible impacts.
- Establish a whale and turtle watching programme as both during the construction phase and the operational phase, the platform will give rise to disturbance of the marine and underwater landscape in its surrounding area and to the presence of ships and vessels in the area and access to the platform by helicopter.
- Conduct a detailed study of the sea beds along the planned routes of the electricity connection cables to avoid any kind of direct impact on habitats that are covered by any kind of protection.
- Carry out a detailed bionomic analysis of the surrounding sea beds as a preliminary step to the geo-technical study to determine the final position of the platform structure (casement and seating).
- Indicate the facility on nautical charts and give the corresponding warnings to shipping beforehand.